Raman spectroscopy is a molecular analysis technique that has been adopted by industrial, forensic, environmental and research scientists to:
• Identify and quantify unknown materials (e.g., Forensic evidence, art restoration)
• Understand molecular structure (e.g., crystallinity, polymorphism)
• Study spatial relationships between sample components (e.g., failure/defect analysis, depth profiling)
Advantages of Raman Spectroscopy
You may be familiar with FTIR spectroscopy and curious about how you can use Raman spectroscopy to complement your FTIR analysis.
Consider the advantages of Raman spectral analysis below to help you solve problems and reveal new
information about your advanced materials.
Save time and preserve your sample
Save and resolve small samples
Measure aqueous samples
Study carbon nanomaterials
Measure samples through transparent containers
Characterize morphology as well as chemistry
What are the applications of Raman spectroscopy?
- Rapid imaging for API distribution analysis
- Non-destructive analysis and minimal sample preparation
- Identification of isomers, hydrates, and polymorphs
Featured Raman spectroscopy videos
Raman Spectroscopy Resources:
Raman Spectroscopy Academy:
Enhance your understanding of Raman spectroscopy when you visit our Raman Spectroscopy Academy. Here you will find
- Video tutorials on Raman fundamentals
- Advanced topics on Raman applications
- Raman instrument guide
Raman Spectroscopy Webinar Presentations:
We present an ongoing series of complimentary half-hour to one-hour webinars that reveal how the Thermo Scientific Raman instrumentation can improve your work. Check out our full library of Raman webinars, covering a variety of sample types such as
- Carbons Nanomaterials
- Life Sciences
- Minerals, Geology, and Gems
Raman Spectrometer Product Guide:
The Thermo Scientific™ DXR™3 SmartRaman spectrometer is a highly automated, push-button operated, dedicated macro-sampling Raman system that brings the power of Raman technology to the routine analysis laboratory.
The DXR3 SmartRaman spectrometer is designed for busy multi-purpose analytical labs where the users are looking for reproducible and accurate results from a dependable, low maintenance instrument. Researchers and quality control specialists alike can take advantage of the ease of sample preparation offered by Raman spectroscopy.
- Forensics – illicit drug identification. Automate measurement of many samples, support infrared ID for backup in court
- Pharmaceutical – distinguish polymorphs and salt forms, characterize tablets
- Gemology – rapid ID of coloured stones, distinguishing natural and synthetic diamonds
- Nanotechnology – characterize bulk nanotubes, QC of nanotubes
- Academic research – useful in material science, biological studies, and many applied research fields
Access Raman data faster than ever with this easy-to-use point-and-shoot Raman Microscope. Advanced imaging capabilities make the Thermo Scientific™ DXR™3 Raman Microscope faster and more reliable than ever.
Users can more confidently use their Raman data thanks to Automatic X-axis Calibration which improves reliability and stability. With speed and flexibility from new lasers and gratings the DXR3 Raman Microscope is ideal for applications like pharmaceutical, academic, advanced polymers, microplastics and many more.
Forensics – trace evidence and illicit drug identification
Pharmaceutical – polymorphs, particulate contaminants, and diffusion studies
Art Restoration/Conservation – identify and characterize pigments, resins, glazes, and inks
Archaeology – characterize horn, shell, bone, and ceramic artifacts
Solar – Silicon crystallinity; characterization of photovoltaic materials
Polymers – inclusions and gel defects, weathering effects, tie layers in laminates, and crystallinity
Failure analysis – characterizing particulates and small features on surfaces
Gemology – rapid ID of colored stones, distinguishing natural and synthetic diamonds, characterizing inclusions and adulterants
Nanotechnology – characterize graphene, CNTs, DLC coatings and other nanostructures
Academic research – useful in material science, biological studies, and many applied research fields
The Thermo Scientific™ DXR™3xi Raman Imaging Microscope now reveals research grade imaging faster than ever. With enhanced software features and higher spatial resolution the user can gain visual information instantly. Advanced imaging capabilities coupled with minimal sample prep and intuitive software give users the power of Raman at speeds researchers need.
- Material science
- Academic research
See our Raman systems in action from the comfort of your home or office. Contact us today for more information!